In November, I posted two columns of advice from my interviews with Porter Novelli Atlanta HR Manager Tia Jackson. Besides sharing tips on preparing your portfolio and resume, Tia outlined basic steps for building and strengthening your professional network. In this final installment, we’ll review some interviewing basics that—believe it or not—some young PR professionals just seem to miss.
Eight MUSTS for Interviewing
- Dress appropriately: clean, pressed and proper
- Mirror the tone of the interview
- Be confident, positive, enthusiastic and genuine
- Listen to the questions that are asked…then answer
- Get a business card from all the interviewers
- Do not mention salary during your first interview
- Send a “Thank You” note within 24 hours of the interview – hand written cards are much preferred
- Have appropriate follow-up on your application status: try a call or email once every 2-3 weeks to follow-up
I hope this series is a useful resource for college students or young professionals looking for that next PR opportunity. Be sure to check out parts 1 and 2:
- SEAL THE DEAL: Start Building Your Resume and Portfolio Now!
- SEAL THE DEAL: Perfect Your Professional Network!
—Mark Avera, Porter Novelli Atlanta